Customer Support: mykindo and ezlunch

Freephone: 0508 454 636 Email:
Login  Sign up

My child is changing school. What do I do?

Sandra Finlay
Modified on: Fri, 13 Oct, 2017 at 2:51 PM

If your child is moving to a school that has kindo or ezlunch, you simply update the school information in My Details and continue using the service. If they are moving to a school that does not have ezlunch, you must close your account. See the question "Can I close my account?" for details.

Did you find it helpful? Yes No